About Me

My photo
I am ME. That's all I really know how to do. Generally that involves taking something ordinary and making it fun, as I've done with the artwork here. I've done pencil drawing since I was very young, then branched into painting, and my current fascination is with collage. I can take a drawing and basically color it with paper. Really, how cool is that?

Monday, February 2, 2015

More Musings

Hello out there! Well, it's been a few days, but I think that's okay. Today's a nice sunny Monday, deceptively bright in that Michigan winter way. It's single-digits out there, but hey, the sun does help! I figure it's a decent day to ramble on a bit more.

I'm frustrated by my art again. Ugh. I had this great idea of dogs kiteboarding! Sweet, huh? I thought so, and the original sketch turned out nicely, but then I added color. I wonder if I should just not do that? So often my pencils are better than anything else, but I like adding color, and sometimes it kills the project. In this case, the original was cool, the colored pencil showed great potential, and some of the watercolor was great, but overall it ended up looking cartoony.


See? Not bad, but the water in the background isn't what it should be. I got a few "likes" on Facebook, but that's about all. That generally tells me my project hasn't done what I wanted it to. With the Buccaneer Bunny, I got tons of enthusiastic comments. With this, a bare handful. People were being polite. I get that--I do it myself. There's something I did wrong here and I wish I knew exactly what it was. It's been suggested that I might go over it with pen and ink, and I think I might try that. I like that look sometimes, and with bright colors like this it can look like stained glass. It might fix whatever the problem is, and if not, oh well. Chalk it up to a learning experience! The problem with art is my learning experiences tend to stack up physically. With writing, they're just on my computer. Much more compact.
Another thing I'm going to do today is look up art galleries and see if that leads anywhere. I wish I knew what I was doing, but I don't, really. I already know I'm a good writer. I have two books out there proving it to the handful of people who've actually read them...but that's a different topic. With art, I think I'm pretty good, but it's a hard thing to prove.

And that's my sunny day...waffling a bit, but with at least an idea of what to do. Better than sometimes, I suppose!

No comments:

Post a Comment