About Me

My photo
I am ME. That's all I really know how to do. Generally that involves taking something ordinary and making it fun, as I've done with the artwork here. I've done pencil drawing since I was very young, then branched into painting, and my current fascination is with collage. I can take a drawing and basically color it with paper. Really, how cool is that?

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Painting a Rabbit

Hello there! I have decided I should actually start blogging on my blog. Novel concept, I know.
The thing is, I don't know what to write about. That's why I haven't been doing it. I'm a writer and an artist, a mom and a wife, a daughter, a sister, a hiker and biker and lover of my little slice of Michigan, with Grand Traverse Bay down the street. None of these things individually is that original, but together I think they make for an interesting me.

So, what am I going to be writing about here? Anything I want. This is not going to be for promotional purposes only. I'm not that great at marketing anyway. I'll try to keep it vaguely professional, without vast amounts of profanity or silly emoticons (I'm notorious for the (grin) I do on Facebook all the time) but hey, I write for teenagers. Sometimes those things might pertain.

Today, it'll be about painting. I'm working on piece that I like. It's a rabbit wearing a saddle. He's wandering through what's supposed to be snow--I took photos of my daughter's rabbit exploring outside a few days ago--but I can't get it to look quite right. I'm using graphite pencils, colored pencils, and watercolors, and if I mess with this any more it'll start to look muddy. Then all the time I put into it is wasted. I don't want that. I think I may finish the border, touch up a few details, and gently splatter-paint the whole thing with white, so it looks like he's going through falling snow. That's a risk, I know, but I think it's worth it.

If not...well, one more learning experience! I really want this to work and become a series, though. I've done the Monocle Squirrel, the Buccaneer Bunny, and now this one. Next up is hopefully a shaggy dog on a kiteboard. I have NO idea if I'll be able to pull that off. I'm really going off the seat of my pants here. I haven't had art classes since the 90's, and my techniques are odd and old. I don't even know how to stretch paper properly anymore. (Note to self--look that up online.) I use the bits I know and make stuff up and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I do the same with writing, I suppose.

Well, tune back in and I'll tell you what happens! Exciting stuff, I know, but hey, I kinda like it.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you blogging! I look forward to seeing more of your painting (and posting!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erin! I'll try to keep up with it. (grin)

    ReplyDelete