About Me

My photo
I am ME. That's all I really know how to do. Generally that involves taking something ordinary and making it fun, as I've done with the artwork here. I've done pencil drawing since I was very young, then branched into painting, and my current fascination is with collage. I can take a drawing and basically color it with paper. Really, how cool is that?

Monday, February 16, 2015

Foot in Mouth and Other Mind THings

Well! About two weeks ago now I posted something on Facebook. I thought it was funny. Many others felt differently. I managed to offend people...again. Oops. I really do NOT set out to do that. I have a hard time letting it go when it does happen. I want to say my opinion but I don't like dealing with the outcome, which is...I don't know, juvenile, I suppose. Unreasonable, at least. But that's what I do, even knowing that.
And how can I do it differently? Beats me! Maybe get a thicker skin? Thing is, I thought I had one. I've gotten rejection after rejection on writing and artwork, and I hate it, but it's part of what I do.
Putting my opinion out there is even more personal, and even more likely to get bad results. I'm not terribly tactful, and I'm aware of that.
So two weeks later I still have this in my mind. I'm bothered by the fact that I bothered people. I can't go back and undo it, I know, but I can work on not sticking my foot in my mouth. I can try, at least! Maybe some opinions really aren't meant to be shared. Novel thought, I know.
It's always the small things that get me in life.
Today I'm happy that a very good friend is trying to write things down on an online site, 750 words a day. I'm really excited that he's doing this, just free-writing, even though it's such a little thing in the grand scheme of things.
I'm looking forward to the closing episode of the Mentalist on Wednesday because Jane and Lisbon finally get married! I've looked up the photos online a few times. Pretty damn cute.
I'm waiting to hear whether a bookstore will ask me in for a job interview or not.
I'm waiting to hear back from an agent I sent five chapters to a few days ago.
I need to do dishes.
I have a high school friend who might come visit me in a few days.
I haven't seen her in nearly 20 years and I need to buy an air mattress.
I don't know her daughter at all and have no idea how she'll get along with my kids or what the weather will be or how any of it will go.
I'll need to clean my house. I know her daughter likes classical music, which isn't one of my things at all. I don't know that I should mention that but I'm afraid it may slip out. I wonder if she likes anything else and I have a mental list of things I could try, everything from Matchbox Twenty to Kongos and U2 and all sorts of other things. I don't know if I'll do any of that either.
I know my friend is single and I have another male friend in the same part of the state who is also single and I don't know if I should mention that either. I'm no matchmaker...but what if I mentioned it and she saw his profile picture on Facebook and liked it and they met and really got along? Then I'd be glad I mentioned it!
And that's only from the past few minutes. Sometimes I think my mind is like a highway, with all these thoughts just zipping along on their way from here to there. Other times I envision a vast, sunlit clearing, strewn about with ribbons and yarn and string and all sorts of things, some shiny and others different textures, and they're draped over each other and over this giant tree in the middle and tangled together, but they're fairly happy that way.
Maybe I should paint that someday!
Maybe I need a nap...

1 comment:

  1. Paint, nap, enjoy your day! And let past mistakes slip away...

    ReplyDelete